Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nail Hardeners - with Moisturizers!

This is the longest series of my life! Gosh is this even half way yet? Sheeeeesh.





Okay on to the post.  This category is the 4th in my series about Nail Hardeners/Treatments and has got to be the one with the largest selection of products. After all, we are taking staples and making them better with moisture!

What are the staples you ask? Please visit the previous posts:
Formaldehyde Base Hardeners
Are formaldehyde base hardeners right for you?
Protein Base Nail Treatments
Formaldehyde + Protein Based Treatments

Not only will you find out about how these things work, but it will help you determine which treatment may be right for your current nail condition.






The only way to know the type of treatment you have in hand is by reading some ingredient lists.  I have mentioned already what "staple" words to look for (in previous posts), but what about "moisturizers"?





Here are the ingredients that add moisture to your treatment and what words you should keep an eye out for:

Dimethicone
Calcium Pantothenate
Tocopheryl Acetate (vit. E)
Water (Aqua)
Panthenol
Avacado Oil
Carthamus Tinctorius (safflower) Seed Oil
As well as other oils

This is not an exhaustive list and I would encourage you to read those labels and ingredient lists!




Now on to the PRODUCTS .... and there are A LOT of them.

Here is a list of products: (again not exhaustive)

Formaldehyde + Protein + Moisturizer:

Nail Tek HYDRATION THERAPY II
Nail Tek HYDRATION THERAPY III
Nail Tek HYDRATION THERAPY IV
Nail Tek - Intensive therapy II Strengthener (pictured above)
OPI - Nail Envy Soft and Thin Nail Strengthener
OPI - Nail Envy Dry and Brittle
OPI - Nail Envy Original Nail Strengthener


Protein + Moisturizer:
Gelous Nail Gel by American Classics (cult following on MUA)
Nail Tek Citra #2
Nail Life - Nail Revitalizer Treatment Formaldehyde-Free (pictured above)
Sally Hansen Complete Care Extra Moisturizing 4-in-1 Nail Treatment
Dermelect Launchpad Nail Strengthener
Rescue Beauty Lounge - Base Coat
Barielle - Nail Rebuilding Protein
Essie - Trillionails Daily Nutritional Formula to Maintain and Balance
Lippmann Collection - Hard Rock Hydrating Hardener Nail Treatment
Instant Artificials (crazy popular on MUA nail boards)
Poshe Nail-Strengthening Treatment Base Coat
Qtica Growth Stimulator



Formaldehyde + Moisture:
Nail Tek HYDRATION THERAPY I
Nail Life - Revitalizer Treatment Original Formula

Perhaps a reader can help me place another product in the proper category. I keep forgetting to look it up every time I go to Sally Beauty Supply.  I am talking about Gelous Nail Gel (which also has a cult following on MUA) by American Classics. I know it has protein in it, BUT are there any signs of moisture ingredients? Someone, help a sista out!

Next Up: Fluoride based Hardeners part I and part II 

The complete series:

Categories of Hardeners and Formaldehyde
Are Formaldehyde Hardeners right for you?
Protein Based Hardeners
Formaldehyde + Protein Based Hardeners
Formaldehyde or Protein Based Hardeners + Moisturizers
Fluoride Based Nil Treatments Part I

Fluoride Based Nail Treatments Part II 
Dimethyl Urea Base Hardeners 
Nail Conditioners Post or Video Review of DermaNail

14 comments:

  1. Love this whole series. Thank you!!!

    I took a photo of the label for Gelous. Maybe it will help!?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/48618897@N03/5478837751/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Thank you so much!

    I can officially put it into the "Protein Based Treatment with Moisturizers" category since it contains hydrolyzed keratin and calcium pantothenate. Sooo helpful, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for that post! My nails love Nail Tek Citra 2. Now I would like to try the other Protein + Moisturizer treatments listed in your list :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this series of postings. Very informative. 2 of my staple products are Gelous and Nail Life (original).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi loodie! First of all, I have to say you, that I love love loooove your blog and stuff you're writing, thx for that! But I do have one question/notice. In that post you've marked NailTek Hydration Therapy III as a Formaldehyde + Protein + Moisturizer conditioner. However I just bought one and there is no formaldehyde in composition. Maybe I am wrong, maybe there is other name for formaldehyd, so here is picture I've made for ya. http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9532/skladhtiii.jpg
    If you could tell me smth about that I will be so greatfull :)) Regards from Poland! /Edith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever heard of the "sticky" sandwich? I cannot get my nail hardener nor colored polish to last more than 24 hours it peels off. So I have been using CND stickey then applying a nail hardener then repeat next day with stickey and hardener. Will using the stickey base coat before the nail hardener decrease the affect of the hardener since ideally the hardener should be used as the base coat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi loodie!I love your blog it has helped my nails so much! You are my holy bible when it comes to my nails. You have tought me more than the did in nail school 14 years ago! I just wanted to let you know Gelous is a moisturizer. The ingedints are butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, nitrocelluouse, phthalic anhydride/trimellitc anhydride/glycocls copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, stearalkonium hectorite, camphor, etocrylene, hydrolyzed kertin,and calcium pantothenate. Could you PLEASE do a series on the compleat Trind Nail line? I know you did the nail balsam but could you tale a look at the other onesin their line to? Like the cuticle balsam, nail repair, brightener, and mainly the kertin treatment. I would like to know how they work and compare to other treatments.
    Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you herd of putting minced fresh garlic in clear nail polish, let it sit for a week then put on clean nails daily? It is supposed to help your nails grow faster and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently bought Duri Rejuvacote because of good reviews on Amazon. Here is the ingredient list:
    Ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, n-butyl alcohol, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, camphor, ci 15850 (red 6 lake), hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, hydrolyzed keratin protein, calcium pantothenate.
    Lots of protein and a moisturizer! But wouldn't two types of alcohol be drying? Anyway another option!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fun post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for inspiring us. Keep it up and continue on what your doing. Visit my site too)) How to use a microdermabrasion at home

    ReplyDelete
  11. This web site really has all the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn at know who to ask. |
    12 inches weave curly hair

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about nail hardeners. Please keep sharing.
    Health Is A Life

    ReplyDelete