Friday, December 10, 2010

Do you want longer nail beds?

Okay, in my strange world, one of my favorite things to do, besides shoving my face, is pushing back my cuticles.  In today's post I am going to demonstrate why it's so gratifying.

When I first started caring for my nails, I didn't know how take care of my cuticles, paint very well or barely file, but one thing I did do, which completely (in my opinion) changed my nail beds, was push back and massage my cuticles.  I had very short wide nail beds that were pretty triangular in shape.  I wish I had a before picture. The best I can do is a scanned image from 5th grade, but it would be so blurry it would be pointless. So, just close your eyes and think hobbit fingers.

Alas, I do have pictures to show you. Maybe I can convince you of getting into the habit. It's addicting!



Here is a before and after shot of pushing back the cuticle area.  How can you not love gaining some nail bed??!!
















I admit at this point my nail bed revelation is not as dramatic or permanent, but still useful. I will push back cuticles right before I paint them to get closer to the cuticle without flooding it.  Although I say this trick is not permanent per say it was at one point. Compared to what they looked like before I started doing this on a regular bases till now, I have seen a complete change in my nail shape and nail bed length. At this point this seems to be the maximum to where I can take the cuticle.



Here is a before and after of my pinky.

Massaging this area as you push them back will stimulate an important part of the nail where the nail grows out.  Massage stimulates more blood flow to the area and promotes healthy growth. Your nail tips and toes are the farthest away from your heart so the more you can help them out the better. It may even promote faster nail growth, but I have absolutely no scientific proof of this, I just like to believe it.







I massage and push my cuticles back a couple times a day. I know a bit obsessive. You don't need anything special and can do it pretty much any time. If you are new to this, I would suggesting being gentle since your cuticle area may be sensitive. The best time to push them back is after a shower. They are soft and pliable. You can use either just the pad of your finger or place a towel between the cuticle area and the pad of your massaging finger. The towel will create some friction to help push back the eponychium and may help remove some of the true cuticle. You can also do this with or without cuticle moisturizer through out the day. Again, I caution being gentle if you are new to pushing back cuticles. Massage the area in circular motions, C motions following the shape of your cuticle or up and down the nail shaft. Go WILD! Until you are comfortable with this skip the implements to avoid poking yourself unnecessarily or injuring the nail matrix. The more often you do this the less they will move each time and the more permanent the revealed nail bed will be.

Do you want the opposite of longer nail beds? Crazy right? Why would you want that? Find out why and how   in this post.

27 comments:

  1. Ha! I do that too! It's really great to see the difference it makes. I love your posts, they're so fun to read! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I love to push my cuticles, too :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I do it once a week, on "Manicure day".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have pathetically small nail beds, I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are really short, too. No amount of pushing is gonna change that!

      Delete
  5. Oh nooo! I have to skip this step. I feel faint if I do it, or watch anyone else do it (must be some deeply hidden traumatic experience...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mena - definitely see what you can gain!

    @Ash-Lilly - Really?! Or maybe you clicked in from the shortening post ... hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok...a year late, but I grew up learning to do this from my mom. And I do it several times a day also. Always when putting lotion on and sometimes just for kicks and giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Gottwinkies - Your mama is a smart woman! Yes, me too, I love doing it :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have very long fingers, so my nail beds are already fairly long. I still like to push my cuticles back because I love how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fingernails are quite long, so I don't push back my cuticles, but my toes are rather stubby... :P so I tried pushing my cuticles back and I am AMAZED! at the results. My nail beds are like 50% longer, and look hot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loodie, finally I got some skin that grow up under the nail free edge. But just in the middle of my nail, not at the side walls (my manicure and I still fille them :$).

    What can I do to have a 'smile', not a V nail? How can I stimulate this skin at side walls?

    <>

    Lilly, Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also noticed I've been getting fewer hangnails!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also noticed I've been getting fewer hangnails!

    ReplyDelete
  14. well i have seen so many interesting points in your reviews. and i have noted all of them as well.
    UK Leading Bed Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have recently stopped biting my nails and started loving the world of nail polish, only the paint my nails and then remove everything in frustration because I'm frustrated with my hobbit fingers, just like you describe. This post gave me hope that I can change the size and shape of my nail bed with some diligent cuticle maintenance. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?
    seniorenbett

    ReplyDelete
  17. What happens when the skin under the nails kind of seperates from det skin? Every time I see a little growth in the skin underneath, it suddenly detaches from the nail and my nailbeds get shorter. Why does this happen? How can i stop it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had very short wide nail beds that were pretty triangular in shape. I wish I ... massagerbed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What do u use to massage ur nail beds? Olive oil or something?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the tips, but could you tell how to make nails grow faster and stronger because right ow my nails are so uhealthy and I do everythig for them but they still are major disapiontments <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a problem! The skin under my nails is way too pushed back...how to bring it back up :/ please help

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is very interesting info. I am definitely going to try this to get my skin to attach to my nail further down my finger, especially the part to not use any hard object like a file or orange stick to clean out underneath. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want longer nail beds but honestly the before photo of the nail looked better then the after hehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic way is amusing, continue the good work!

    Nails

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have very short nail beds and long nails. My rule is not to let the white part of the nail get longer than the nail bed. I was laid up after surgery and had no appetite, but could handle chocolate milk, and my nails got stronger and stronger, no peeling, cracking etc. Strong as iron. I am also very good with pushing my cuticles back all the time and caring for my nails and hands. I do my own manicures as well. Very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete