Monday, August 29, 2011

Come here, I want to cut you!

I used to watch Ricki Lake back in the day.  I remember this one episode was about bad ass girls in gangs.  They were so bad ass they carried razors in their mouths 24/7 ... ya know in case they had a hangnail.

On occasion I will get a nasty hangnail.  In today's post I will show you how I take care of it.

The hangnails I get these days are different than the ones I use to get when I first started caring for my nails a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.  The kind of hangnails I used to get were from dry skin.  Also their location is somewhat different now too.  They would either start at the cuticle (eponychium) or on the skin right near the cuticle called the proximal nail fold (see the second picture for these terms).  These types of hangnails can be taken care of with a regular moisturizing routine (2-3 times a day) using your favorite moisture delivery system.  I have several posts on the importance of moisture.  You can visit them here, here, and here.   

Now they look more or less like this:

Please excuse the stainage.  I will be taking care of it soon.  For now, let it soil your eyes. 


Actually this is a continuation of stainage I got from China Glaze - Italian Red that was further enhanced by China Glaze - Rodeo Fanatic.  


Thank you China Glaze! <=== SARCASM 

Pictured here is a recent hangnail.







I don't have too many hangnail issues from lack of moisture these days because as I have told you before ... I am slightly obsessed.  When winter rolls around things can get a little tough, but I do what I can.  Nowadays my hangnails appear after I use cuticle remover. 

If you are not familiar with my earlier post on cuticles please visit this post.  In the mean time, I will continue to use my hubs ugly stumps for demonstrations purposes.  Yep, I'm still holding a grudge.  

The point of cuticle remover is to remove the "true cuticle", not the eponychium, however since you are putting the solution near the eponychium it too will do its chemically business there as well.   Perhaps I leave it on too long or get a little rough with the towel action ... as seen in this video.  

Either way, I will get the hangnail on the eponychium as shown in the first picture.  


I seriously wish I was taught to carry a razor in my mouth, because that would be some interesting self defense skills that could double as hangnail resolution.  However, a better tool for the job is the ...


Cuticle Nipper

This picture shows my jaundiced finger nails wearing 3 coats of OPI Bubble Bath.


You know what makes me laugh ... my mom calls them NEEEEPERS.  I freaking love her for it.  Every time she's looking for them, I pretend I don't know what she is talking about just so I can get her to say it over and over.  <3


There are many kinds out there and generally speaking the sharper they are the better.  These kinds of tools can be on the pricey side, but are much better for hangnail removal than say a razor you hide in your mouth or a nail clipper like I have seen being used on YouTube quite often. 0.o


The sharp pointy slanted end allows for a more precise and accurate removal of the hangnail without tearing the eponychium (which is live skin) further.  Since the eponychim is live skin you want to be careful when you are cutting anything in that area as a deep cut can cause a wound that may lead to bleeding and possible infection ... if you are a dirty girl.  But seriously be careful!

It may be a good idea to reserve nippers just for the purpose of cutting skin; avoid the temptation to clip nails (or other hard things) so that you can keep them as sharp as possible.  


This picture shows the finger after the hangnail was snipped.  


With continued moisture and perhaps a little AHA cuticle cream this area will smooth out and be glorious again! 


Do you get hangnails? How do you get rid of them?


More importantly ...
Do you know how to hide a razor in your mouth?

29 comments:

  1. I wish I knew how to hide a razor in my mouth.

    Also I think you should secretly tape your mom saying NEEEEPERS...because I know have a made up voice in my head saying it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom calls the fingernail clippers-'snip snips' so maybe our mothers should get together with their Neeeeepers and their snip snips and have a party! I do my hangnails like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you are cracking me up with laughter!!! (I'm holding my stomach)

    I think I remember that Ricky Lake episode. Your
    Mom saying neeepers Lol! You should tape her so we can hear.

    When I get hangnails I use fingernail clippers never thought about using neeepers. Lol! I will give them a try the next time I get a hangnail :D

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realise that now that I know you can't carry a razor in your mouth, everything you say will carry less weight? Nevertheless, nice tutorial, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you are too much! I'm pretty good at managing hangnails, but a razor in my mouth? Not so much. That said, У меня есть другие навыки. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just had to mention that you made me LOL while reading this. I have no idea how to have a razor blade in my mouth all the time haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now say neeeeepers over and over in my head. It'll probably sound stupid out loud because I said like a 100 times already in my head. You weird girl <3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? You don't carry a razor in your mouth? What is wrong with you? You never know when you need one in a jail fight.

    I have about 5 of those neeepers around the house. I can't stand having hangnails. At least, this way wherever I am in the house, I can cut those suckers. Now, I need one in my car and purse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How DID you get it that neat?! ....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "... let it soil your eyes." Quote of the day!! I love it. I always have nippers around. It borders obsession, I'm sure you can relate. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to add my request that you tape your mom saying neeeepers. I actually said it out loud when I read it!
    Sadly, I'm with you on the inability to carry a razor blade in my mouth. O_O
    I have used clippers my entire life! I will be going out and hunting down some neepers now though. I rarely get hangnails any more, but when I do I will be using your method! Thank you for the tutorial, super helpful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is it you make something as boring as cutting hangnail into pure delightment?!? And why is it called a hangnail? I literally hang on your ever word in your posts!

    I have a feeling the filipino translation if nippers would be neeepers too!! lol. Might need to ask some of my aunts in they have any? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, I do use nippers for hangnails, but since watching your YouTube vid on moisturizing I have been and my nails and cuticles have never been better and my nails are growing so much, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never mastered the whole razor-blade-in-the-mouth thing. :/ Hmmph, I am a failure! I was giggling like a psycho reading about you ignoring your Mother's plea for Neeeeeeeepers. Go Ricki! Go Ricki!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Elizabeth Life and Polish - haha, me too me too. The voice and accent is what makes NEEEEEPERS!!

    @Fingers - hahaha, snip snips, I like that. A party is definitely in order.

    @rmcandlelight (nailsbeautiqued) - Early 90's was a great time for talk shows (may I reminisce for a moment ... Geraldo, Sally Jessy, Phil, Montel etc ... before Oprah decided to classy up the genre.

    Oh yea nippers are great, I hope you find them easier to use.

    @The Nail Buff - ROFL *hangs head in shame* ... Thank you :D

    @Sinead - LOL, you packing heat?? dawwww.... watch out now!

    @Jacki - haha, key word "all of the time". Are you suggesting that you carry one part time ... good to know.

    @Deborah - I am waiting for you to go to the store and ask the SA "where do you keep your NEEEEPPERS?" That would rock my world.

    @Olivia - I'm a total failure when it comes to hiding razors in my mouth, but thanks to you I can still participate in a jail house fight and have my makeup look fierce! ;D

    @Gottwinkies - They must be sharp and the slanted pointy end helps you get right in there.

    @AKB - haha, this I understand.

    @Nicole - lol, request noted! If you can't hide a blade in your mouth, NEEEEPERS are a must! :P

    @Angie - awww, thanks! <3 I'm guessing because those suckers hang off your nail haha, idk. Just right down the word "nippers" on a piece of paper and have them read it off, I bet money they will say NEEEEEPERS!! :P

    @♥beauxs mom - Moisture solves many things indeed! I am so happy to hear that. Nippers to the rescue just in case though for sure.

    @Helga - thanks Helga!! :D

    @Maribeth - Maybe there is a YouTube tutorial? We can practice together, then start a gang and just start random fights to practice our new skills! Haha, yes good plan ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my nippers and was devastated when I dropped my last pair on the floor and the tips bent rendering them unusable :(
    I've replaced them since, but the new ones aren't as good (those things are pricey!)

    Can't even begin to imagine how one would go about carrying a razor in the mouth...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got a real hoot out of "neepers"....! Having a mom who emigrated here from Greece, let's just say that I frequently develop "hearing" issues around her just to hear her repeat certain words (I know....weak humour!!) As to hangnails, hate 'em but thank God I don't really get them all that often - it's been a while, now that I think about it, but in case one dares to crop up, I will definitely be getting me some of them there "neepers" to keep those beasties at bay! Love ya tons!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS: as to learning to carry razor blades in your mouth, if I may be so crude....I think your husband just may object........!!!!! I'm just sayin'.....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loodie.. if I would go here to the store and literally would ask for the NEEEEPERS, they wouldn't understand me since I am Dutch. It would be even more awesome because of that. Please come visit me so we can haunt people for NEEEEEEEEEEPERS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol...still laughing....Neeeepers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha!

    Here in Brazil anyone who cares about manicures will have at least 3 neeepers in the house. We cut our cuticles, so this is a must!

    I love your sense of humour and obviously it runs in your family! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Entertaining and informative as usual! I love that you got your man's nails cuticles in here--my man's are awful and I am sorely tempted to sneak up on him with my SH Instant Cuticle Remover.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Who doesn't know how to carry a razor in their mouth? LAME. Actually that's really gross and is making my cringe. I usually use the clipper, and am glad to see I'm not alone. I thought I was a weirdo there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ABOP (laquerlove on MUA)- I always have trouble determining which nippers are good.

    @ommorphiabeautybar.com - OMG how hilarious. Your story reminds me of that scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the American parents come to meet the Greek side and she bring a "bonk" .... ROFL

    LOL - I will politely take the razor out beforehand ;) hahaha

    @Deborah - Aaahhhhhh I want to hear your accent. Tee hee I love you already and if I'm ever swinging by Sweden I WILL be stopping by!

    @Gottwinkies - LOL :D

    @Sarah B. - Thanks! ... must get more NEEEPERS!

    @KarenD - I tell you what, at the most he lets me do one finger. One day I will totally spray him down with cuticle remover, haha.

    @GothamPolish - LOL. You weirdo? ... only if you don't know how to hide a razor in your cheek. :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. EWE! The razor blade reminded me of my ex husband... (another EWE!) He used to take a razor blade and run the corner of it along his cuticles and cut them off that way.... (Still shuddering on that memory!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Sir/Madam,

    How are you? I hope that it will be better from your side. Our prayers for you and your company. I would like to introduce our self as the manufacturer and exporter of

    • All Sorts of Tweezers
    • All sorts of scissors
    • All sorts of Manicure & Pedicure(Beauty Care)Instruments.

    Now we having keenly desire to be your company vendor’s. I am sure that you and your valued customer must like our quality so it’s our humble request to provide us an opportunity to establish business relation with your company.

    For Further information and inquiries please visit us at http://www.tgind.com/beauty/products.htm and please inform us for your views and inquiries.

    Awaiting your positive response.

    Thanks for your kind co-operation

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Sir/Madam,

    How are you? I hope that it will be better from your side. Our prayers for you and your company. I would like to introduce our self as the manufacturer and exporter of

    • All Sorts of Tweezers
    • All sorts of scissors
    • All sorts of Manicure & Pedicure(Beauty Care)Instruments.

    Now we having keenly desire to be your company vendor’s. I am sure that you and your valued customer must like our quality so it’s our humble request to provide us an opportunity to establish business relation with your company.

    For Further information and inquiries please visit us at http://www.tgind.com/beauty/products.htm and please inform us for your views and inquiries.

    Awaiting your positive response.

    Thanks for your kind co-operation

    ReplyDelete